“You have everything you need within you to make music.” – Cymber
Download Studio Policies PDF here.
WHAT TYPE OF LESSONS DOES ROSALANI MUSIC OFFER?
I teach harp, voice, piano, composition, performance prep and more. I teach most styles of music, focusing on helping students learn what they want, in a learning style that works best for them. Lessons include a combination of technique, ear training, and teaching students to trust their own musical guts.
WHAT AGES DO YOU TEACH?
Students range from age 6 to 106. Younger students may be considered if they are mature and able to focus for a 30-minute lesson.
HOW LONG ARE LESSONS?
I use an online lesson tracking system that should send students/parents a reminder the day before your lesson. Lessons can be 30, 45 or 60 minutes, or longer if needed.
Lessons start when the student steps into my music studio, and ends at the agreed upon time. If students need to use that time to chat, sometimes that’s the best kind of lesson, but it counts as lesson time.
WHAT IF THE STUDENT IS LATE?
If students are late, I will try to accommodate them. If a student is late, please understand that I am not always able to extend that lesson.
Please pick up your child on-time. While there is a waiting room in my building, I am not responsible for watching your child after their lesson ends.
WHAT MATERIALS DO I NEED?
- Students will need a well-maintained instruments, at home. I have harps and a piano for lessons at my studio.
- A lesson journal
- A metronome
- Access to various other apps I may recommend.
- Black sheet music paper may be needed.
- Ipad (optional, but a great learning tool).
- I’ll make individualized recommendations for books/materials for each student, which may be ordered via your preferred vendors.
WHAT DO I EXPECT FROM MY STUDENTS?
Your goal and mine is to musical enjoyment and success. This only happens with ongoing home practice and play. I recommend each student’s minimum practice length time and review the practice schedule with the student weekly until they gradually build regular practice and play sessions into your weekly schedule.
To make the most of our lesson time, students should arrive well-prepared with all necessary books, a practice journal, and any other individualized materials. Please share with me candidly how things are going so we can keep your music making fun and exciting!
WHAT DO I EXPECT FROM PARENTS OF STUDENTS?
The success of the child student depends greatly upon teacher-parent communication.
Showing interest and positive excitement about your child’s music making at home is a huge motivator for them, although sometimes they may not show it! Some piano methods call this parent-child-teacher relationship the “magic triangle.”
This is why Rosalani Music asks parents to sign a Parent Practice Support Agreement, which I will provide at the time you register for lessons.
In addition, these guidelines help make learning music into a fun and successful adventure:
- Please make sure your child is well-fed before a lesson, preferably with some protein.
- Do not feed your child sugar before a lesson as this causes the student to lose focus and the lesson is essentially wasted. Be aware that many nut butters contain sugar, so read labels carefully.
- Check in with me briefly during your child’s lesson each week so that you know what they are working on and to give me feedback
- Check your child’s practice journal daily to make sure he/she stays on track during the week
- Supervise practice with students 10 years old and younger. Older children may also appreciate your involvement – play it by ear!
- Ensure your child arrives to their lesson on time (late arrivals cannot be extended past the scheduled time)
- I very much welcome parents to sit in on their child’s lessons or a portion of a lesson at any time. I appreciate the time you dedicate to your child’s music making, leaving a legacy of wonderful memories
WHAT IF WE ARE GOING ON VACATION or NEED TO CANCEL A LESSON?
If you need to cancel a lesson or several lessons, I ask for 24 hours’ notice. You will be issued a credit for a future lesson. If you cancel with less than 24 hours’ notice, you forfeit payment for that lesson.
WHAT IF THE STUDENT IS SICK?
As a courtesy to me and my other students, please cancel your lesson in advance if the student is ill. I am unable to teach students with colds and other communicable conditions, as it puts me and other students at risk.
If you send a sick kid or come to a lesson sick, I will send the student home, and the lesson will be forfeited.
WHAT IF THE TEACHER IS SICK?
If I need to cancel for any reason, I will arrange for a substitute teacher, or issue you a credit for another lesson.
HOW DO MAKE-UPS WORK
Make up lessons should be scheduled through the Student Portal. You can log into the student portal to change your lesson times to another open slot. You must use all your make-up lessons before August 31 or they will be forfeited. Lessons do NOT rollover to the next year.
Please pay for four (4) lessons in advance. Checks or cash preferred.
Lesson packages are based on the school year. Lesson packages start on September 1 and end on August 31 of the following year. Packages will be prorated if the student starts after September 1. Unused lessons will be forfeited on August 31. Contact me for Lesson Package Pricing.
CAN I SEND YOU A REFERRAL?
Definitely! Referrals are the backbone of my business. Refer a friend and get a free lesson for yourself.
CAN I GIVE YOU A TESTIMONIAL?
Yes, testimonials help me find new students that you may not know. I would appreciate your taking a moment to email me a short testimonial that I can use on my website.
WHAT IF I WANT TO END LESSONS?
At least one month ahead, please give me written notice to end lessons. If no notice is given, tuition for one month remains due.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and ask me questions.
Thanks, everyone, and here’s to another great year of music making!
Please read and agree to the following statement by checking this box and returning via email email@example.com. (You can also download and print a formatted PDF here: Rosalani Music 2019-2020 Studio Policies )
☐ I have read the above policies and agree to them
Signed (name – please print and autograph):